1912 saw Mill Bay’s first car, a chain drive Russel, owned by R.W. Frayne. Mr. Frayne could often be seen filling up with water at the horse trough (present Rotary trough) before venturing up the Malahat, as the water tank had to be filled every half an hour.
Driving changed from the left to the right side of the road at 6:00am January 1, 1922. It was a good day to stay home in case not everyone got the message!!!!
(Along Mill Bay Rd. / Adelaide Ellis)
(The Mill Bay/Malahat Historical Society)