In 1895, Mill Bay was a small scattered settlement and although the Catholics had their church and cemetery, there was to quote Clara Copley McLean, “No place to solemnize the weddings; to christen the children and no dedicated place to lay the dead, at least for the Protestants.
Several families had buried loved ones in a corner of their pasture. Later Reverend Garry McKean was visiting from Salt Lake City, and services were being held on a dance platform on a grassy glade near the site of the abandoned mill.
The Partnership and How the Museum Became a Reality
From an article by Brenda Krug.
The former Mill Bay United Church at 2851 Church way in Mill Bay, the second oldest remaining building in Mill Bay, and its surrounding cemetery, had become a South Cowichan Park in 2007,
after its congregation had amalgamated with the one from Shawnigan Lake, and moved to the new Sylvan United Church on Shawnigan-Mill Bay Road.
Volunteer with Us
Seeing the many exhibits and hearing stories of local history brings back many fond memories. As museum volunteers we enjoy interacting with people who have wonderful personal stories of their own and experiences of times gone by. It enriches our appreciation of the good times and the not so good times that have made our area what it is today.
Become a member of the Mill Bay/Malahat Historical Society (annual membership $5 per person) and help preserve and celebrate our local history.